Welcome to $\Sigma$, a collection of links, reviews and similar.
The symbol ‘★’ means highly recommended but you already knew this.
The symbol ‘★’ means legendary which you didn’t know.
- Less Wrong
- The length of a toilet paper roll. [math.stackexchange]
- A trip through the Graphics Pipeline [a wordpress blog]
- How to hack a car? [Medium blog post]
- Complexity Explorer [ Math MOOC courses by Santa Fe Institute]
- How to find Waldo, using computer vision [Image Processing, Mathematica, stackoverflow]
- lhs2TeX [generate LaTeX code from Haskell, hackage link]
- Resources to write a chess engine [chess, stackoverflow]
The ratings are totally personal which will differ from person to person. A more up to date list is at Goodreads.
Origin, Dan Brown.[2017,Dec] ★ Mixing evolutionary biology with simulations, artificial intelligence and religion. Sign me up!
- Godël, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid, Douglas R. Hofstadter [ Reading, finally ]
- Elon Musk, How the billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our future, Ashely Vance [ Reading. ]
- TimeRiders: The Infinity Cage, Alex Scarow [ Reading ]
Murder on the Orient Express, Agatha Christie[ 2017, January ] The Devotion Of Suspect X, Keigo Higashino[ 2016, December] ★
- A Game of Thrones, George R. R. Martin [ Temporary hiatus ] [2016, August] (reading for the hype)
The Martian, Andy Weir.[2015, June] ★
- Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson [ Unfinished ][2016, June]
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions, Randall Munroe[2015, October]★
- The Physics of the Impossible, Michio Kaku
Artemis Fowl series, Eoen Colfer Percy Jackson series, Rick Riordan Angel and Demons ★, The Digital Fortress ★, The Da Vinci Code ★, Deception Point ★, Lost Symbol and Inferno, Dan Brown. 61 Hours, One Shot, Bad Luck and Trouble, Worth Dying For. Lee Child
These are some books I have read and find them worth.
- Linear Algebra Done Right, Sheldon Axler
- Principles of Mathematical Analysis, Walter Rudin
- Calculus, M. Spivak
- A First Course in Complex analysis, Dennis G. Zill and Patrick Shanahan
- A Book of Abstract Algebra, Charles Pinter
- The Princeton Companion to Mathematics, Timothy Gowers et al
- How to solve it, G Pólya
- Elementary Number Theory, David M Burton
- Topology, Munkres
Computer Vision $\cup$ Machine Learning
- Computer Vision: Algorithms and Applications, Richard Szeliski
- Computer Vision: Models, Learning, and Inference, Simon J. D. Prince
- Learning OpenCV3 Computer Vision in C++ with the OpenCV library, Adrian Kaehler and Gary Bradski
Machine Learning ( Deep Learning $\in$ Machine Learning)
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning, Christopher M. Bishop
- Elements of Statistical Learning, Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani, Jerome Friedman
- Deep Learning, Ian Goodfellow et al.
- An Introduction to Neural Networks, James A. Anderson ( Neurobiology and Neurocomputingl )
- Principles of Neural Design, Peter Sterling.
Popcorn, TV and Insomnia.
I watch mosly science fiction and animation. A more up to date list is here on letterboxd.
- [Dunkirk, December, 2017] ★ Don’t loose hope just like the sheppard’s tone.
- [Blade Runner 2049, November, 2017] ★ Best Neo-noir post apocalyptic cyberpunk science fiction.
- [Spiderman Homecoming, 2017] Meh. It’s okay.
- [Star Wars: Rogue One] ★ The much needed filler.
- Kong: Skull Island [DON'T WATCH!] [June, 2017]
- Fate of the Furious [Submarine!] [June, 2017] ★
- Furious 7 ★ [June, 2017]
- Fast & Furious 6 (2013) [June, 2017]
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 [ It’s g(r)oood! ][ May, 2017 ]
- Logan [Man, I cried.] [May, 2017] ★
- [Doctor Strange][Suddenly, my favourite superhero and movie.] ★
- [Moana][Fluid Simulation to extremes] ★
Hall of fame:
- [Big Bang Theory S1-11] ★ Nerds acting with humour.
- [Rick and Morty S1-3 (Adult Swim)] ★ In Elon Musk’s words, “Digustingly Good”.
- [The Grand Tour (Prime Video) ] ★ Jezza, Captain Slow and Hamster + GWiz, ‘nuff said.
- [Castlevania ( 2018, Netflix )] ★ Badass animation + Dracula + Alucard + Belmont = !!!
(the platform I write is the one I played on, it may be available for your favourite platform too. )
- Ordia, Loju Games ★, “Ordia is a one-finger action game where you play as a new life form taking its first leaps into a strange and hazardous world.” – I don’t know what to write for it, lol. Read more about this in this post.
- Into The Breach, Subset Games ★, [MacOS, Steam], A mech chess game with deep strategy, plenty of content, an amazing OST, sweet looking pixel art and clean, informative UI design make you always say, “Just one more run”
- Inside, Playdead, amazing gameplay, story, state-of-the art gamedev, Highly recommended. ★
- Space Plan, Devolver Digital [iOS] [Black Holes, Dimensional Teleporters, Potatoes] [June, 2017] ★
- Monument Valley 2, ustwo [iOS] [Art, Art, Puzzle, M. C. Escher, Love] [June, 2017] ★
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Konami [PC] [ Fulton, Skulls, Snakes ] ★
- Assassin’s Creed 2, Brotherhood, Relevations [PC][2014,2017,2019] AC2 was amazing, had a great ending. Brotherhood – alright, Relevations – meh.
Hall of fame:
Clash Royale, Supercell ★. Easily the best mobile game I have played. Deep amazing stategic plays and every, every game is unique. Brilliant game design. This “card based real time tower rush multiplayer” game is worth playing. I have invested over 250 hours on this.
Opus Magnum, Zachtronics ★, [Steam, MacOS] :- puzzle-based programming game which gives you absolute freedom to craft and create machines to accomplish alchemical tasks. It’s satisfying, it’s complex and it pushes you to optimize your solutions. If you’re into programming, please, play this masterpiece by Zachtronics.
- Celeste, Matt Makes Games ★, [Steam, MacOS] Tight controls, amazing pixel art, a badass OST and a touching story all sewn together in perfect symphony to sing the song of the best platformer for years to come.
- Factorio, Wube Software, [Steam, Mac] ★, the crack for programmers. Cractorio. Warning, don’t play this if you respect your time.
- Skyrim, Bethesda [PC] ★, see that peak? That’s where the game rests. Bethesda’s Opus Magnum.
- RuneScape, Jagex [Mac] ★, F$**$k, nearly wasted my life. I have put 1200+ hours spanning 9 years.